Rio Grande Black Eyed Peas
- oil (olive oil, PAM, etc)
- 2 medium onions
- 6-9 cloves minced garlic
- 2-10 dried hot peppers (to taste)
- 10 oz ground sausage (turkey works perfectly)
- 1 lb dried black eyed peas
- 2 cans crushed/diced/stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat pot over medium high heat, adding PAM, or small amount of oil to coat bottom of the pan.
- Add minced garlic and hot peppers to heated oil in skillet. Cook a few minutes, to "release the flavors".
- Add onions and loose sausage. Cook over medium heat until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add peas and seasonings and water to cover by ~1 inch.
- Cook until peas are tender (length of time depends whether you soaked them overnight or not).
- Lastly, add tomatoes & their juice and cook for ~10 more minutes.
- For a vegetarian version, I've used Boca "crumbles" and been thoroughly content with results.
- It is delicious served over cole slaw or rice.
- Cornbread is another delightful accompaniment.
Happy New Year!