Monday, March 3, 2014

Week 8: Canned Fava beans

Some weeks get away from you.  Or two, as the case may be!

Week 8 was a rough week here.  With my husband in sunny California, and us getting hit with two plowable snow storms during his absence, there wasn't a ton of time to focus on cooking, and certainly not posting!  So, this is behind...  I contemplated not posting at all.  Then I realized, this is exactly the kind of thing I should document.  A week of making do with what was on hand.  And so, I present my thrown together bean meal for two weeks ago...



Quinoa Salad with Canned Fava Beans

Ingredients:
  • 15 oz can Fava Beans
  • English Cucumber, ~half 
  • Grape Tomatoes, ~dozen 
  • Arugula, 5-6 oz
  • 1 cup dry quinoa, 
  • salt, to taste

Procedure:
  1. While prepping the rest of the salad, cook one cup of dry quinoa in 2.25 cups water (salt to taste) in a rice cooker.  I know there are other ways to cook quinoa, but this is the way I cook it.
  2. Chop cucumber and grape tomatoes. 
  3. When quinoa cooked and cooled, mix together with chopped cucumber, tomatoes, arugula and rinsed can of fava beans. 
  4. Salt to taste.
Notes:
I ate this for several meals (since my husband was away and there was lots of snow to manage) over salad greens, with olives.  It was quick, nutritious, and delicious.



Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment